Monday, April 5, 2010

Miles' Working Process


I'm an un-methodical, un-organized person by nature, but I've been forced to get a little more systematic as I've grappled with making comics and animation. Here are some observations that have helped me to carry out a project like a picture book or comic book.
1. Start a folder. When I know that I'm working on a big project, I go through my scrappy drawings, notes and sketchbooks and pull out stuff that might be relevant to the project; Then I stick it in THE FOLDER. I label the folder with a nice working title, and I'm off and running. From now on, ANYTHING even remotely related to the project goes into this folder.

2. After I've started the analogue folder, I scan my stuff in and start a digital folder. I then back this folder up to another drive or disk. Regular back up is the key to survival when you work on a long-term project.

3. Git to work dealing with the nuts and bolts design of your book. Font/lettering ideas, logo designs, panel layouts, etc. Eventually, I work out a template that forms the basis for all of my pages. A key part of this process is settling on a page size.

4. Get on the phone/internet and talk to printers to get turn-around times and submission requirements. Err on the side of too much information. Revisit step 3 as necessary.

Here are some more detailed posts on my processes.
How Miles makes his Arms and Ether web comic.
How Miles made the Arms and Ether comic book.
A link to Miles' Arms and Ether comic book page template.
Link to Miles' Arms and Ether web template. 
Link to The Ohio Players, Love Roller Coaster, 1975.

1 comment:

Goreface said...

Hey Miles, sorry I couldn't make it today. I ended up having to house-sit for a pretty retarded reason. I'll post up what I've been working on anyways and I might drop by before the next critique rolls around.