Friday, February 19, 2010

Mac vs. Adobe: It's Civil War, I Tells Yuh!

 
Articles on the Adobe Apple feud. Will Flash survive??? Probably, but hopefully emerging much improved by the struggle.
Wall Street Journal
The Guardian
New York Times
As an artist/animator, I like Flash, I really do. To me, its strength is the integration of drawing, animation, and programming into one nifty flexible environment. Yay, for me. However, that's not why Flash is a dominant web presence. I think Flash has risen because it has serious Adobe market muscle behind it. In its evolution, Flash has become a classic bit of bloat-ware--it can do things like play video and generate slideshows for the web, but it's by no means the best way to do those things. Sure, Flash has a video player, but most people hate it and want it dead. And why the hell should people be forced to use Flash to make a web slide show?

So, what's the point of all this? As an academic teaching studio art and "emerging media," I don't like the idea of perpetuating olde techniques and approaches to doing things just because I know how to do them. Over the past few years, I feel that some complacency has set in, that we're still using a lot of this corporate bloat-ware because that's what us olde perfessers know what to do. There's much more to say on this subject, but I'll end it for now with the thought that I want to make sure I'm not teaching some corporate party line, but rather some basic principles and concepts that my students will be able to adapt and develop into their own approach to things.

No comments: